A new computer will run at it is top speed. How fast this is depends on the components. To be fast a computer will have a topline processor and a lot of RAM memory.
Then again your speed for surfing the web depends entirely on your web connection speed. Obviously a high speed cable connection is much faster than a dial up.
When your computer seems to gradually run slower over a period of time there can be a number of reasons for this and you can correct the problems fairly easily in most cases.
1. Do you’ve enough memory in your machine? Anything less than 1 gigabyte of RAM is barely enough these days. If you’ve less you should upgrade to at least 1 Gigabyte of RAM and 2 or more gigabytes would be better. Same applies to your hard drive. If you download a lot of stuff you should have a big hard drive. A minimum of 100 gigabytes is needed these days.
2. Do you’ve a lot of never used programs on your hard drive? Uninstall as many as possible. The extra hard drive space will speed things up especially if you’ve a small hard drive. Aim to have no more than 50 to 60 percent of your hard drive space in use.
3. You should defragment your hard drive regularly to keep things running fast and smoothly. When your hard drive has bits and pieces of programs scattered all over it this greatly slows down the machine as it tries to locate the various pieces of a program. Defragmenting will bring all the pieces of each program together, where they should be, for fast access.
4. Regular use of an antispyware program will eliminate spyware which has been installed on your machine by someone unknown. Adaware and Spybot are free programs which you can download. Your computer resources are used up by spyware as it goes about its dirty business. Take it out and speed up your machine.
5. Several people will have months or even years of old emails taking up hard drive space. Permanently delete all old inbox items,sent items and deleted items consistently and you’ll open up a lot of hard drive space. This will enable your machine to run faster.
6. The startup menu is often completely cluttered with unecessary material. You can access any of these programs quite easily if you need them. No need to have them slow down the booting of the machine. Edit them out of the startup menu. No need to delete them,just remove them from startup and booting will become faster.
7. All Windows PCs will slow down over a period of time. The computer registry gradually becomes choked with excess material. This greatly slows down the operating system as it tries to locate the data it needs to run your computer. Solve this by deleting all unwanted files from the registry and doing a cleanup.
If you’ve the necessary computer knowledge you can do this manually using the Regedit function which is installed in all Windows computers for this purpose. Regedit will give you access to the registry files and you can then delete any material you do not need in there.
A serious caution is in order at this point however. If you do not know exactly what you are doing you should not remove any data from the registry. Several entries are there for the purpose of running the computer and if you should delete any of these important files your computer could be disabled. It might become necessary to reinstall the operating system to get the machine back in working order. Needless to say you need to avoid this at all costs.
Fortunately there’s a safe and easy way to remove the unecessary material from the registry. You simply need to download a registry repair application from the web and this will take care of the problem for you quickly and easily.
A number of these programs are available to download and they vary considerably in ease of use and in performance. We purchased and tested several of them and found that any were superior to others.
The first thing you should do is to obtain a free scan of your registry which is offered by most of these applications. This will determine whether or not you do have a registry problem and will report to you what the problems are.
You can look at this report and decide what you would often do. It is well worthwhile to pay the reasonable charge to have the registry repaired and this is what we recommend.
The registry cleaner will quickly do it is work and your computer will be returned to full operating speed. Your computer will run like a new machine again.